Too Far :(

Chat about using GB3YT
m0ikb

Too Far :(

Post by m0ikb » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:42 am

Sadly, as I pretty much assumed the terrain is stopping me from seeing GB3YT from here in Scarborough (IO94SG).
I thought there might have been a chance in getting something but although I can see a peak in the signal here I cannot get a lock.
As for accessing from this end I shall have to wait while my system is finished fully for transmit.
I can receive most signals but sadly not GB3YT, the 1.5mtr dish and over 40dB of preamp gain just cant pull the signal out.
I shall check most days on the status just in case something changes as its roughly in the same direction as GB3SE beacon on 23cms, so whilst checking its signal strength I shall check to see if anything has improved with GB3YT.
I might try and go portable and see where I can receive GB3YT from.
Anyhow good luck and who knows I might get there yet :)
Gus M0IKB

G8NZR

Re: Too Far :(

Post by G8NZR » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:43 am

Hi Gus

Thats shame... The distance to Scarborough would have been excellent, but if you look at the map, the terrain to the East of York is probably blocking your signal path. Keep us informed if you get a signal to/from GB3YT at any point. Thanks for trying.

73s Kay
G8NZR

m0ikb

Post by m0ikb » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:09 pm

Never a problem, can honestly say I shall have a look everyday as I swing the dish around checking the conditions.
Certain if I go a local hill, I will find GB3YT no problem at all.
Pity I cannot get a lock as I hear GB3SE at S5 everyday on 23cms, but will keep on trying and have just found another satellite receiver I can try as well.
Hopefully I shall have built my BATC NIM kit and although designed for narrow band reception I will give that one a go as well.
regards
Gus M0IKB

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:59 am

Not unexpectedly I can't get a direct signal at home either but it is 90km or so!

But like Gus I will make some effort to keep an eye out for it when conditions allow.
I will have a portable trip maybe this Saturday pm from the moors to check access.

Rob

G8NZR

Post by G8NZR » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Hi Rob

Conditions are pretty poor at the moment both WX and DX wise!

We do have a few minor teething problems to sort out next week which include audio levels to adjust and also we have a certain amount of de-sensing to correct. We will leave it on-air, but think if you do manage to receive a signal, currently I don't think you will be able to access because of this.

Hopefully, we will visit the site early next week and correct the problems. I think it would be unusual for it to be 100% first time round :evil:

73s Kay
G8NZR

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:34 pm

You will be glad to hear that YT is getting up to the NY Moors OK :-)

With 44el Yagi and G4DDK VLNA i was getting 80% quality and 10-15dB s/n. Path length 89km i think.
The radar was terrible and got breakup every 6 seconds or so but otherwise fine.

Tried to access without joy but i think the de-sensing you mentioned was coming into play. I was running about 40W on Tx.

Very pleased to receive two repeaters on that site now!

Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

G8NZR

Post by G8NZR » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi Rob

Great news for the transmitted signal :D ... and yes I didn't think you stood much chance getting into YT at the moment. Hopefully get that rectified next week.

73s Kay

2E0CJT

Post by 2E0CJT » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:38 am

Hi, having set up a mobile Analog/Digital ATV setup, I am able to access GB3YT from Holland Swain near Penistone P5 signal. At home however Barnsley No luck, when there was the other repeater on air at Queensberry Near Bradford that was Analog it was P5 on 23 and 13cm.

Digital is all well and good, but I (and I'm sure many others) don't have £400+ to spend on a DATV Transmitter, when a Analog Transmitter with 18 watt amplifier is around £70.

I really hope that GB3YT applies for a Analog input in the near further.

Also do anyone know if GB3YT will be streaming via batc at any point?

Thank
Phil
2E0CJT

G8NZR

Post by G8NZR » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:38 pm

Hi Phil

We originally applied for analogue & digital, but were told that the powers that be are wanting to try go away from using analogue and concentrate on digital. As a result, the NOV was for digital only. I do understand the cost implication regarding digital TX, but currently that option is not open to us. Now we have the repeater on air, we can try and apply again and see what happens. I do know it would be beneficial for lots of users who have 70cm analogue TX.

We do propose to stream when we have the time to get it organised - hopefully before long... The main priority was to get the repeater working and on-air, with the ancilliary items tacked on later. Time and resources are one thing that is against both Graham and myself just at the moment, but we will be enhancing GB3YT over the coming months... Check the 'News & Status' section of the Forum for whats happening technically. I will keep that updated regularly.

73's Kay
G8NZR

2E0CJT

Post by 2E0CJT » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi Kay,

It's an interesting thing when it comes to getting an NOV for analog these days, strange thing is when we applied for an analog ATV 13cm the RSGB and RMC said it won't happen, so we went directly to Ofcom instead. From start to finish it took 3 week to get the NOV, not sure if the RMC (RSGB) receive NOV's then sit them in a draw for months/years before passing them onto Ofcom. I know that's sounds maybe a little political but that's our experience in the past.

I have spoke to Ofcom on Thursday regarding Analog; I was told Analog Inputs (ATV) 23cm/13cm/10ghz wouldn't be a problem, however due to the 13cm changes Digital outputs is a must; 10 GHz not a problems for analog, 23cms is ok as long as the MOD/CAA has no issues - normally ok unless the repeater is nr a MOD base or Airport. I did ask about 70cm ATV inputs but was told digital only.

Hope this information is helpful :o)

Anyway, all that aside I would like to thank everyone involved in getting this repeater on air.

Thanks

Phil
2E0CJT