Unusual coverage..

Wolfie

Unusual coverage..

Post by Wolfie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:25 am

Since I stopped fiddling with the Preamp for my mobile kit and took to simply driving it around again some interesting anomalies have turned up..

Along our lane (DN14 0PT) there is one spot in particular just past a lane off to one side where I can receive YT and frequently use that when trying things out.
However if I go along the little side lane which is only a few yards closer and more open, I can receive b**r all...
The only difference really is a steel roadsign right beside the reception point.

Then much closer to Dewsbury a well known landmark is Tingley Roundabout, where I get cracking pictures at the top side (Whilst driving round) for several seconds, but this is completely the wrong side of the hill to the repeater and quite definitely outa sight due to the hilltop, including many trees, houses and a pub, but interestingly... many more roadsigns on high gantries.

I think I'll measure that roadsign at home..
:
de G8VAT
:
Dah di dah..

G8NZR

Re: Unusual coverage..

Post by G8NZR » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:33 am

The propagation on 23cm is interesting to say the least. Its something I've noticed more on this band than anywhere else. When we've been testing YT, we found that trying to receive digital when mobile is very hit and miss to start with, and also we can't receive YT in places where we thought we should have been able to.

Looking at the coverage map where you've been testing near home, it looks like the predicted strength is low to start with. I know in tests we did in the early days, that the signal strength does correlate quite closly to the prediction map!

Reports like this Graham are always interesting - particularly when it looks like road signs make good reflectors for 23cm! :lol:

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:39 am

Just going back to this point, I have recently changed my pre amp from the Bob Platts GasFET one to one of those little Satellite ones much loved around ATV (just for testing). the difference is amazing. I originally thought it was marginally better, but it isn't, they are probably about the same gain wise.

But I now get pictures on parts of the journey where I didn't before and places where I used to get pictures I get.. nothing!

TIngley Roundabout is now dead but for several hundred yards down the YT facing side is a picture. On our lane, my favourite spot next to the roadsign is now dead but just heading up the rise to the Motorway bridge is picture (not at the very top though!)..

I had previously had some Connexion satellite inline pre amps (since the nineties) and never received any pictures anywhere on them, ever. So had discounted ALL of that type by default, but these latest ones are good, I'll be putting one right up at the aerial for the next activity weekend/contest. I presume I can then run normal CT100 down to the Comag? (I have a roll of that). :D
:
de G8VAT
:
Dah di dah..

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:40 pm

I had another surprise today.. having been to the Jct32 (XScape) shoppng centre, heading back towards Knottingley a testcard picture suddenly popped up (the rcvr is on whenever the igniton is on) on the rear parcel shelf..

'Nothing surprising there' I hear you say since the Hill up to Airedale is well within YT coverage.. and so it is except that the Alford Slot was down in the rear passenger footwell, not on the roof (it was pissistently-ing it down at the time).
:
de G8VAT
:
Dah di dah..

G8NZR

Post by G8NZR » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:25 am

Propagation on 23cm digital just keeps giving surprises! :o