Poll - which is best?

Which do you prefer - Analogue or Digital in relation to amateur radio?

Analogue
80%
Digital
No votes
No preference - Either
20%

Total votes: 5

G8NZR

Poll - which is best?

Post by G8NZR » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:37 pm

This poll is to get an idea of which mode amateurs prefer.

With the trend changing towards digital working, which do you personally like the best?

GaryM1EGI

Re: Poll - which is best?

Post by GaryM1EGI » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:03 pm

I think having an analogue input option to the repeater would give it more scope for use...
As a rule amateurs have analogue transmission equipment and to obtain and build on this front is far easier/cheaper.

As for reception there is no real issue with digital.

Just my thoughts,

Gary (M1EGI)

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:22 pm

Typical 4Ms Digital has the advantage of getting a workable signal when analogue is marginal.
Analogue gets the job done in poor conditions and great for Contest qso's!

Reduced Bandwidth Digital wins every time.

Latency is a big issue though with Digital if you ever do go to full duplex.

Rob

Ken

Post by Ken » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:09 pm

Hello all, Nice to see this repeater come alive again.

Having so much gear for ATV sat there not being used since the loss of the repeater some time ago means I would love to see it back on air. I am sure I am NOT the only one.
If its Analogue then it would be a simple job of dusting off my equipment , checking or sorting out aerials and away we go.
If its digital, then I would forget it. Having invested £££ in my gear and hours and hours of time building it .... then having to start all over again making digital and spending more ££££ would be out of the question.

Maybe later I would have a go at digital but for now , please make it as simple as you can

Thanks

G8NZR

Post by G8NZR » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:09 am

Ken wrote:

> If its digital, then I would forget it. Having invested £££ in my gear and
> hours and hours of time building it .... then having to start all over
> again making digital and spending more ££££ would be out of the question.
>
> Maybe later I would have a go at digital but for now , please make it as
> simple as you can

Hi Ken

Unfortunately it's going to be digital only at present. We did request analogue as well, but the NOV was for digital only.

We do have plans for the future which may include analogue receive, but it will still be digital transmit. You can receive very easily using an old digital sat receiver - providing it has manual access to the various settings. There are other plans for the future, but for the moment, getting the repeater on air is the main priority and it looks like the first weekend in August now.

Just for information, there is nothing to link the new GB3YT with the old system from many years ago... We applied for the disused callsign as it indicated 'Yorkshire Television'.

Good luck, Kay

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:59 am

Thanks Kay, Rather a long wait for my reply. Sorry.
I enjoy looking at the repeater stream, at least now and again.
Nothing to do with YT ( or even the old YT) . I note that the NOV for the Barnsley Repeater GB3ZE lapsed.
this was local to me and NEVER really got off the ground. It was on transmit beacon only for a short while.

I have been off air for a few years but wondering what the position is for 2.4ghz analogue repeaters is now ?
In respect of new applications or resurrecting a previous one such as GB3ZE.

I did in the past try to gain access to the small group that were attempting to launch GB3ZE but they were a very closed lot and even though they never got the thing up and running, they held on to the licence. This meant there was never any chance of applying for anything else in this area when I NOV was active.
It would be very easy for me to setup a 13 or 24 cms analogue repeater as I have 90% of what's needed including the logic synch detector, cavities , antennas etc.

So, have you any thoughts ? What do you know ?

G8NZR

Post by G8NZR » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:32 am

Hi Ken

13cm is very much 'up in the air' still with the changes announced by Ofcom. The majority of repeaters using 13cm are having (or have) changed frequency since a big portion of the band was taken away from amateur use.

I personally would stay away from 13cm since there are also a lot of video transmitters, computer mice etc that use this band and could cause interference... but that’s just my thoughts. If you are considering 13cm, then you need to do some serious homework regarding frequency allocations etc.

GB3TT is also currently being resurrected in Sheffield, so if ZE gets back on air we shall have a few ATV repeaters available to use in the Yorkshire area!

73 Kay
G8NZR